On the south side of Rengejiike Park stands Ogawa Eye Clinic in Shiroko Shopping District. In front of the clinic stands the "Monument to Shiroko" and nearby is a large sign that reads "Ogawa Magozo, the savior of Tokugawa Ieyasu". While the modern address is in Honmachi, Fujieda City, this town was previously known as Shiroko, a name with origins deeply tied to Tokugawa Ieyasu.
In 1582, when Oda Nobunaga was killed in the Honno-ji Incident, Tokugawa Ieyasu felt his own life was in danger and fled across Iga Province to Okazaki. In the town of Shiroko in Ise Province (modern day Suzuka City, Mie Prefecture), Ieyasu was nearly captured by his enemies. Just then, a peasant by the name of Ogawa Magozo was harvesting wheat in a field, and craftily hid Ieyasu in the wheat, deceiving his enemies.
Thanks to Magozo's aid, Ieyasu was able to reach Okazaki safely, but Magozo himself was chased out of Shiroko, Ise for the crime of hiding Ieyasu. Taking pity on Magozo, Ieyasu thanked him for his assistance by allowing him to build and live in a town called Shin-Shiroko in Fujieda, and furthermore exempted him from taxes. The Ogawa family still has the shogunate's license with a red seal indicating this privilege.
The Ogawa family served as physicians for many generations during the Edo period (1603 - 1868), and the 15th generation of the family still operates the Ogawa Eye Clinic.